Thursday, April 16, 2015

Smile, When You Dub That, Partner

Perhaps I'm just reading things into it that really aren't there, but it often seems to me that Spanish is sometimes very forceful sounding when spoken.  When I practicing speaking French, I usually feel, well, polite and somewhat dignified.  When I speak Italian, I feel as if I'm reciting.  Now, that doesn't mean that Spanish can't sound dignified--indeed it often does sound quite elegant and sophisticated.  It's just that I feel more in charge somehow, when I'm attempting to express something in Spanish.  Maybe it's those trilled r's.  In European Spanish, it's perhaps the frequent th sound of some of the c's.  I've definitely noticed it when I watch western TV shows, such as Bonanza or The Wild Wild West dubbed in Spanish.  Those shows often use dialogue that is delivered with vigor and sometimes anger or other strong emotion.  These shows are very difficult to find in French or Italian, and when you do find them, the dubbed language seems incongruent and artificial. 

On the other hand, romantic comedies and dramas seem tailor-made for French.  Of course it's all just Hollywood and the way it's associated traits with certain cultures that probably are not really valid.  Still, there are times when I feel good speaking Spanish; it's as though it makes me feel more self-assured and assertive.  All this is good.  Now, if I could just learn to speak it right :)

No comments:

Post a Comment