Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Speak! Write! Read! It's all good stuff.



I really like this video called "Learning Languages on Your Own."  The speaker, a professor of languages in Sweden, has mastered several languages and shares his methods and recommendations for learning languages independently.  Though the information he provides is very useful, I was most impressed by how well he spoke English.  I believe he said that he grew up in Russia and Russian was his native language.  He speaks English better than most of the Americans I know.  With the hint of a British accent, he uses colloquialisms and slang perfectly naturally, and I did not even detect the slight errors in word order or word choices that I so often hear from non-native English speakers.  It is nothing short of miraculous that someone can learn to speak English so well.  I also like the fact that his ''revelation'' is simply that we should discard our fear of making a fool of ourselves when we attempt to use a new language.  We should be proud of our progress and anyone who is making fun  of our sincere attempt to speak their language should be ashamed of themselves.  There are few things more satisfying than to speak to someone in their own tongue and be understood. 

A la proxima...

No comments:

Post a Comment