Friday, February 27, 2015

Me gusta todas las cosas



Buenos días, señores y señoras y señoritas.  Y también chicos y chicas.  

I'm posting a very cute  canción from YouTube today called Me Gustas Tú. I discovered it from a post someone placed on the  Duolingo (an online program for learning Spanish) discussion board.  It's perfect for beginning Spanish learners, because

  • It includes subtitles
  • It uses very simple (but very useful) vocabulary and grammar
  • It has a catchy Latin beat that will have you singing (or at least humming) it all day
  • It is very good for getting used to the often difficult construction of  'I like,': Me gusta
  • It's repetitive, so it really sticks.
  • It's cheerful and life affirming
This, you'll recall, is the way we learned our native language--through listening to others speak, songs, and nursery rhymes.  That's how we mastered our abc's.

At first I really struggled with me gusta, te gustan, nos gusta, etc.   What got me over the hump was paying attention to the very first word in these phrases.  Most of the time they are a clue as to the subject of the sentence.  For example, for me gustan I know that me would translate as 'I.'  Then I'd look at the following verb to see what tense it is in.  In this case, I'd know that me gustan means 'I like [a plural object].  French and Italian have the same sort of construction.  I guess that's one thing about English that's a little easier and more straightforward.  

A pronto...


No comments:

Post a Comment