Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Rain in Spain Falls Softly on the Plain

Just how different is 'Castillian Spanish' to Latin American Spanish, I wonder?  When I listen and compare, it sounds mostly like the major difference is the pronunciation of the letter 'c,' which has a sort of 'th' sound.  I'm thinking I'd rather learn the European version, but then it would be nice if I could be assured that most Latin Americans would get the gist of what I was saying.  Then I'd sort of get two-for-one.

On the other hand, if the vocabulary, sentence structure, and pronunciation are significantly different, then that would make a difference in my choice.

In the meantime, while I mull this over, here's an engrossing episode of La huela del crimen, a crime fiction show from Spain.  It's very well directed and acted and had me glued to the set, even though I only understood bits and pieces of the dialogue.


No comments:

Post a Comment